Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Everything Is Tickety-Boo

Doing the thing I always thought I would hate- sitting in a cubicle behind a computer screen from 9 to 5, Monday thru Friday.

What kind of fool was I?

My time this week has been spent transcribing basic information from paper into a computer program- mindless, easy work- AND listening (and desk chair dancing to Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis, Jr. singing the coolest version of “Me and My Shadow”) to my IPod all day long.

I know the time is coming that I will be back to the more complicated stuff I was briefed on last week, but for now…bring on the forms and watch me dance!

It isn’t as creative as flower arranging, but it ain’t scrubbing buckets, cutting off the top of your thumb, and knowing that you are doing ALL the manual labor and earning the least amount of money.
And there you have it.

You didn’t think I was going to stay so Pollyanna this entire blog, did you?
Come on, it’s me.

I sat in the break room for a short lunch yesterday, reading my Kindle, while two others (both slightly younger than myself I am guessing, but not by much) chatted while watching a re-run of THE COSBY SHOW on the mounted tv. I, too, watched a small portion of it, given that it was the one guest starring Danny Kaye as the dentist trying to treat Rudy’s friend Peter- who refuses to open his mouth.

The episode was ending with Cliff and Claire talking.
The girl in the break room asked: “Is he dead?”
The guy: “Bill Cosby?”
Girl: “Yeah.
The guy turns and looks at me unbelieving. I tried not to register on my face what was in my head (and if you know me at all you can only imagine…)
Me: “No. Cosby’s alive. But Danny Kaye is dead.”
Them in unison:” Who’s Danny Kaye?”
I took a deep breath. “The dentist.” My drink, Kindle, and I left the room.

OH. MY. GOD. - WHITE CHRISTMAS HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSON BLUE SKIES LADY IN THE DARK WALTER MITTY LAURENCE OLIVIER - Pick a reference, any reference…

I am very much aware thatI am eccentric, and therefore, so is my indignation.
But eccentrically indignant I am, dammit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzVCahrtaWI&feature=related

“Everything is tickety-boo, tickety-boo, tickety-boo...
Everything is tickety-boo on such a dreamy daydley-oodley.
Who could be persnickety-poo, snickety-poo, snickety-poo...
With the sky so blinkety-blue, it causes one to say:
Bless mankind, including my attackers.
I'm inclined... the feeling is oh... so jolly-well oh...
It's ever-so-lutely crackers!..."

No comments:

Post a Comment