Sunday, August 21, 2011

Once in a blue moon

I am listening to iTunes as I set up this blog.  Mabel Mercer is singing "Once In a Blue Moon."
"Once in a blue moon
You will find the right one
Once in a blue moon
Find your dear delight one
Then with a thrill
You'll know that love is true
Once in a lifetime
When the moon is blue..."

This is now being followed by Johnny Hartman singing "It Was Almost Like a Song"
"Once in every life
Someone comes along
And you came to me
It was almost like a song
You were in my arms
Just where you belonged
We were so in love
It was almost like a song...
January through December
It was such a perfect year
Then the flame became a dying ember
All at once you weren't here
Now my broken heart
Cries for you each night
It was almost like a song
But it's much too sad to write..."

Jeeze...what my state of mind must have been when I created this playlist.  Ha!  And now Tony Bennett is singing "Don't Get Around Much Anymore."  At least it is a peppy broken-hearted song.

Who am I kidding?  Torch songs are the soundtrack of my life.  This is only aided by the fact that I adore wallowing and feeling lost and lonely- so slice your wrists already, Jenny- right?
I adore feeling this way when singing then songs- I should clarify.  Singing a he-done-me-wrong-what'll-I-do-so-lonesome-I-could-song and having a single tear rolling down your cheek while singing the last phrase... Sublime.

My heart was broken (and, I fear, irreparably) many years ago.  Somehow I can't let go of the circumstances surrounding the breaking of my heart.  I could maybe get past it-(and heart somewhat repaired) if the circumstances hadn't been so appalling and inhuman...and CHANGING PLAYLISTS.  Not where I intended to go with this blog.

Ah...Julie Walters singing Macaroons from Victoria Wood's ACORN ANTIQUES THE MUSICAL.  Soooo worth your time to look this clip up of YouTube.  Brilliant.  Any song that contains the words "clitoris" but sounds like it could have been in the score of a 1930's musical is my idea of heaven.

Saw David Coffee as Edna in HAIRSPRAY at Casa Manana the other night.  It would be impossible for me to adore a human being more than I adore this man.  He is magical.  If humans were paid in accordance to the amount of joy they give others, this man would be a millionaire from my joy alone.





No comments:

Post a Comment